Dear AP® Human Geography Participants,
Welcome to the 2019 AP® Summer Institute in AP®Human Geography at the University of Texas. This week will be structured for new teachers to APHG or those seeking a review of the course and teaching strategies. The session will include an overview of the content and teacher resources. Attention to effective teaching strategies supporting the lecture content and building success on the AP exam will be included. Topics covered will provide in-depth discussion on specific content areas intended to help participants gain a broader understanding of the scale of the topics.
A special focus on the roles of globalization and development as they apply throughout the curriculum is on the agenda. New materials and resources will be provided to the course participants. Participants are requested to bring a laptop if possible, access to your Human Geography textbook and any favorite samples of the role of globalization as it applies to the APHG curriculum, including readings, maps, news articles or other related materials. We will focus on collaboration, sharing best practices and continued instructional practices regarding the AP®Human Geography will dominate our activities throughout the week.
The goals of the four-day session are to assist participants with:
- Explore and process the new Curriculum and Exam Description
- Identifying the skills and concepts necessary for successfully teaching an AP Human Geography course
- Focusing on specific curriculum topics through the use of critical reading, document analysis, essay writing and assessments as defined in the CED.
- Instructing students to think geographically, spatially and conceptually across the APHG curriculum.
- Understanding and applying the broad themes that link the course together.
Participants should bring the following:
- Human Geography textbook that you use; digital copies will be provided by publishers.
- Questions and ideas that work for you and your students
Agenda Topics for the session:
- AP Human Geography program and course expectations new to 2019 school year
- Overarching concepts and focus areas
- Exam strategies
- FRQ development
- Topics on population, migration, gender and culture
- Topics on development, sustainability, human-environment relationship within APHG
- Topics on globalization and development geography
- Case Studies
- Resources and support
I look forward to our week together and sharing all of our talents and expertise.