In our Language and Composition Summer Institute, we will explore rhetoric as a way for our students to become “citizen orators,” understanding the powerful role of language in our world. Many assignments include a step-by-step approach to critical reading, thinking and writing. We will look at both linear processes and creative explorations—the mundane and the sublime. Participants will review reading strategies to determine those most appropriate to their students, create assignments, practice holistic scoring and methods to reduce the workload, and work on curriculum planning.
- reading strategies
- close reading of difficult texts/vocabulary
- analysis of/strategies for multiple choice exam
- processes for writing the rhetorical analysis, argumentation and synthesis essays, including strategies for addressing the diverse needs of a mixed classroom.
- research activities
- holistic scoring /writing assessment
- strategies for building style and/or sentence control
- research ideas to involve students in social/political issues
- tips on curriculum planning